Profile image for billyhitchcoc

It's important that if people are angry about Costa moving in that they DON'T GO IN THERE. so many people complain but then go along with something when it happens. if the people of keynsham boycott it in force then they will be forced to leave. it's the only power we have. personally coffee #1 is my favourite place in town but there are plenty of others. we don't need Costa.

By billyhitchcoc at 10:59 on 03/02/13

Re-post           

• Profile image for moaningmini

My thoughts exactly all those objections and I went past Saturday and it was busy. It must be having an impact on the other coffee shops in Keynsham lets hope none of them have to close due to them opening.

By moaningmini at 17:40 on 03/02/13

• Profile image for Matthew09

Let's not overlook the fact that both Costa and Coffee #1 are owned by big breweries. Costa is part of Whitbread and Coffee#1 was bought by Brains in 2011.

By Matthew09 at 16:38 on 04/02/13

• Profile image for moaningmini

Ive just realised why Costa is so busy as I have had a flyer through the door for a free coffee in Keynsham!

By moaningmini at 15:36 on 05/02/13

• Profile image for DexterD

Whilst I can understand the concern of large chains moving into the high st, this is a franchise run and owned by local people. Bringing jobs back to Keynsham and at least it is not another charity shop!

Like it or not, chains like Costa will help attract better retail outlets for keynsham as a whole, especially during these early stages of redevelopment.

If Costa does well and takes business away from other coffee shops in Keynsham then that will be because more people have wanted to go there. To survive other coffee shops will have to improve and meet the demands of the consumer! I think it is called market forces.

We just need a nice cafe/bar like a Tinto Lounge that serves good food all day and would be used by all elements of the Keynsham population.

By DexterD at 08:16 on 06/02/13

• Profile image for playboy51

i'm afraid DexterD is missing the point. Just how will Costa attract new businesses if the best retail units are taken by ever more coffee houses. Keynsham has more than enought places serving refreshments without Costa sticking it's oar in. Yes people will use it but lets see how it's doing once the free coffee promotion has ended. To say that other coffee shops will have to improve to compete is nonsence. If they were not providing the right service already they would have shut down long ago. Howerever, they cannot be expected to compete with Costa who have the backing of Whitbread behind them.
    thecadburyplayboy

By playboy51 at 17:50 on 11/02/13

Hi Playboy51, infact I think it is you missing my point.

The success of the redevelopment in Keynsham town centre will be heavily based on the retail units that get attracted to the new development and Keynsham as a whole. Quality retail shops will be more attracted to a busy high st with busy coffee shops which generate good footfall. They will also be more confident to invest in Keynsham if some of these coffee shops are well established chains have also chosen the location. Chains such as Costa and Coffee #1 spend considerable time and money ensuring they chose the best retail locations or are in area's that are being redeveloped or likely to see redevelopment in the near future.

To be clear in my previous post I stated "If Costa does well and takes business away from other coffee shops". I am not explicitly saying I want Costa to succeed or existing coffee shops to be forced out of business or to struggle, far from it.

I am just stating a fact that if Costa does draw customers from other coffee shops, then there is a reason for it. Retail is all about competition and it is a good thing. If Costa folds after it's free drinks promotion then all that will do is harm the prospects for Keynsham's redevelopment over then next few years.
    I agree that it is tough for independent coffee shops to compete financially, however, being an independent is also their main strength.

By DexterD at 08:42 on 12/02/13

Not wanting to get into a continual debate with you DexterD but you are coming at my argument against Costa from the wrong angle. At the moment the redevelopment is irrelevant by two years. It's the here and now that matters and if i was a company looking to open in Keynsham i would find plenty of coffee outlets but no available retail units so i would move on. I would be asking myself what's wrong with Keynsham that the only businesses coming here are coffee chains. You can have all the footfall that you want but a lack of shops selling what people want will not help our high street. With a coffee house/restaurant part of the new build and now a cafe included in the Somerdale build, Keynsham will become the coffee house capital of the South West? Yes, the unit left empty by Clinton Cards may have remained so had Coster been refused permission but at least it would have been available for "retail"use. That option has been lost. Dream of what might be in two years time if you want, but i'm more interested in what can be done for our high street now. Costa is not the answer!

By playboy51 at 17:41 on 18/02/13

• Profile image for NewtoKeynsham

I am not sure that I agree with you 'playboy51' that the redevelopment is irrelevant by two years. Surely the redevelopment will be attracting the attention of potential retailers NOW and not in two years time (well under two years actually), why would they wait until the development was complete?!

A potential retailer for the new development could come to Keynsham and find empty shops or a high street bustling with busy coffee shops, which would look better from their perspective?

I am also interested in the high street today, not just in the future, and if I was a potential retailer I would love the fact that the high street was getting busier as a result of the facilities (e.g. coffee shop) and would see it as a good place to open up a business/franchise. I have been in several of them since moving to Keynsham a year or so ago and have always struggled to get a seat in most of them.

I don't see you targeting the many charity shops on the high street, this is what would put me off. Charity shops do not bring people to the high street like coffee shops do, I have lost count of the number of them we currently have.

By NewtoKeynsham at 15:43 on 19/02/13

Hi Playboy51, I agree we don't wont to have a protracted debate on a public forum. In this situation we obviously have different opinions and it is unlikely one will sway the other. I am just more interested in the longer term future of Keynsham and feel strongly that the key to the future of Keynsham is the Town Centre regeneration and possibly the regeneration of the Riverside complex further down the line.

As NewtoKeynsham points out potential retailers will be in discussions with the council and the developers already I bet. Even if it is just to express an interest. Particularly the 'anchor store' which has been linked possibly to Waitrose or morrisons in the past. It will be interesting what retail outlets do start expressing an interest. I guess watch this space!

By DexterD at 18:23 on 20/02/13

Welcome, NewtoKeynsham. As you state, you are the new kid on the block. I speak as someone who has lived here for 43 years. Yes, i agree with you 100% reguarding charity shops and you would be familier with my past correspondence had you been a resident for longer than you have. The unfortunate fact is, is that Keynsham's charity shops are well established having been part of our high street for many years. However, for some, they do provide a service which in these hard financial times are a life line. I have bought picture frames from one myself. The point is, as much as they clog up the high street, they are selling items that people can buy and take home and use. The service they offer is "retail". This does not apply to Costa. You say that charity shops do not bring people to the high street, i beg to differ. The fact that so many survive while other types of businesses go to the wall speaks for itself. Yes, their existence is at the expence of "proper" shops, but another coffee house is not the answer. It deprives potential businesses of somewhere to open.

By playboy51 at 19:49 on 20/02/13

• Profile image for Matthew09

Back in the autumn the landlord said that no other retailers had come forward apart from Costa. Would people rather see the shop still lying empty?? Empty shops do not send out a good messge about a town centre.

By Matthew09 at 20:05 on 20/02/13

• Profile image for NewtoKeynsham

Hi Playboy51, apologies, I only have access to your recent post as like you say I am new here. As a long term resident I would really like to know your opinion on the Somerdale redevelopment?

By NewtoKeynsham at 16:19 on 21/02/13

hello again NewtoKeynsham, As someone who worked at Cadburys for 31+ years, Somerdale played a big part in my life. Not wanting to disappoint you, but, in principle, i have no objections to plans for the site. The factory was never going to be re-opened as a going concern. However, i am somewhat amazed to find that the three red brick blocks (A,B,C) are going to be retained. "A" block is in a poor state and was home to chocolate making. It will need a lot of upgrading to bring it up to today's standards. The fact that one block is to be used for employment, i wonder why council workers leaving Riverside could not have been included, freeing up the town centrere-build to be designed more like the Southgate development in Bath? A point i have raised many times. With the many thousands of people moving into these 700 new homes plus the K2 site maybe, just maybe, there WILL be a need for Costa? Good grief, what am i saying? Although i will always maintain that Costa is in the wrong place at the wrong time. For now, enough said about Costa, it's time to move on. (I can be found in print in the Weekin and Keynshamvoice under my own name, John Howlett)

By playboy51 at 15:33 on 25/02/13

• Profile image for ZenosArrow

I am surprised at the number of people that are prepared to pay upwards of £2 for a cup of coffee in big business cafés such as Costa. It seems to me there are a lot more gullible people on our high streets these days.

By ZenosArrow at 17:32 on 07/03/13

Just had the latest flyer drop through my letterbox from Costa offering more "free" coffee. Things must be bad if they have to give this offer a second run. Not doing as well as expected? We can only hope!

By playboy51 at 16:29 on 04/04/13

• Profile image for billyhitchcoc

I've been hearing stories of quite a few people refusing to go there when their friends invite them out so this is great news. every time i walk past to get to coffee #1 i stare in angrily at anyone that will make eye contact with me :-)

By billyhitchcoc at 09:04 on 12/04/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent