Profile image for space412

Has anybody noticed they've changed the speed limit of the A4 Bath road from just past St Brendans to hicks gate from 50mph to 40mph. The crafties have seam to have done this with little/no prior acknowledgement and the mobile speed camera has been present near the round about a couple of times this week!. Anyone caught I think you'd have a good chance at a appeal, since i saw no change notification (on that side anyway).

By space412 at 22:31 on 15/12/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for JoannaPazucha

That's interesting, Space. I'll check it out and report back as soon as I learn anything. It's quite a considerable drop in speed, so I assume there must be a reason for that.

By JoannaPazucha at 00:21 on 16/12/11

Hi Space,

Sorry for the delay in the response. That stretch of the A4 belongs to Bristol City Council and here's what they have to say about the change in the speed limit:

"As part of this major programme of improvements for the Bath Road, the speed limit along this stretch has been dropped from 50mph to 40mph. This is to help road safety for all road users and provide consistency for motorists along this busy section of the Bath Road."

I'm waiting to see what they say about the speed cameras.

By JoannaPazucha at 13:54 on 20/12/11

• Profile image for space412

I Knew it! they were there again today. Its just this is an obvious and devious way a catching people unaware of the change. Spread the word!

By space412 at 18:25 on 20/12/11

Speed cameras been at it again this week!

By space412 at 21:45 on 30/12/11

• Profile image for Gambit72

Very crafty! If anyone gets caught by this it's worth an appeal because so many people complained about lowered speed limits further down the Bath Road that they had to put big notices up warning people of the new limit.

By Gambit72 at 23:13 on 30/12/11

• Profile image for shaker73

Hi, very interested in comments above, I drove past camera van couple of weekends ago at 50, as didn't realise speed limit had changed. Feel stupid now, but all the other cars were doing similar speeds and they must have caught a lot of people. Calling them "crafties" is a lot milder than the words I was using!!

I've been slower since but still don't fully understand why i need to be, as this stretch of road is no different than before! and am waiting for letter to arrive with fine and 3 points and wondered if anyone knows when limit was actually reduced (everyone i've mentioned it to since was unaware of change) as I would like to appeal, if/when letter arrives.

By shaker73 at 14:13 on 03/01/12

Crafties was me being very polite!, it was just before i posted the first comment i believe.

By space412 at 18:47 on 03/01/12

Hi all,

I did ask Bristol City Council about the speed cameras and whether any warning signs were put up to make people aware of the change of speed, but didn't get a response.

I'll keep plugging away on this until I do get a response and will post it on here.

By JoannaPazucha at 00:48 on 04/01/12

Joanna thanks for trying but I doubt if you will get a answer. Someone told me they put notification of change in the Bristol evening post. Since a lot of people using that road live in Bath I think that's ridiculous. I don't feel that counts as a effective or practical way of giving notification to the populous at large. Many of whom have used that road for years. The new small 40 sign is pathetic and not very visible when fighting the traffic. As for providing consistency what a crock!, its the start of a dual carriage way and the ring road it's just daft and as far I can see a way of earning a quick buck catching people out.

By space412 at 17:46 on 04/01/12

The speed camera vans on the A4 by Hicks Gate have been suspended!

I received a response from Bristol City Council today to my query about the change in the speed limit and and the cameras. It seems a review is to be carried out.

Here's what they said:

"The council acknowledges that fair warning for motorists is desirable when changes occur to existing limits.

"The police have now suspended enforcement while both agencies undertake a short review."

By JoannaPazucha at 17:14 on 06/01/12

Good News! now lets hope anyone caught has a fighting chance!

By space412 at 18:15 on 06/01/12

• Profile image for mattcroft

I got caught doing 46mph on 29 December - I was keeping an eye on this thread whilst considering an appeal. Today I got a letter from the police saying

'After careful consideration it has been decided that due to the new road layout and speed limit on the A4 Bath Road, Hicks Gate, enforcement will be suspended to allow a bedding in period. Therefore this alleged offence will be withdrawn and no further action will be taken.'

Thanks to those who raised this issue with the council!

By mattcroft at 10:41 on 21/01/12

Happy to help, Mattcroft! It was obviously an issue of concern for people, and it seems people's comments have been taken on board by the council.

By JoannaPazucha at 10:58 on 21/01/12

Amazing! couldn't be more impressed with this! i hope this is the case for everyone caught!!!

By space412 at 19:07 on 22/01/12

• Profile image for Ducky661

My daughter got a letter yesterday saying that no further action would be takenin her case.She is very pleased.

By Ducky661 at 19:27 on 22/01/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent