Profile image for JoannaPazucha

Two Tescos have opened in the Bristol area over the past few months - one in Keynsham, one in Stokes Croft. Both areas have independent shops, but Keynsham people and many shopkeepers welcomed Tesco, whereas in Stokes Croft all hell broke loose and the protests ended up on the national news.

Why did people welcome Tesco in Keynsham, but not in Stokes Croft? And are we still glad that we have a Tesco here?

By JoannaPazucha at 16:57 on 11/05/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for KeynshamKim

The Tesco protestors in Stokes Croft need to get a life. There's no reason why a supermarket can't co-exist with other High Street stores, People like and need them for their convenience and prices. The new Tesco in Keynsham complements the High Street, it hasn't stopped me from visiting the green grocer or newsagent. Parking is free, which also means I can visit the High Street without worrying. Tesco also gave Somerdale workers jobs when the kraft reneged on its deal to keep the factory open. What's not to like about any of that?

By KeynshamKim at 12:04 on 12/05/11

• Profile image for Greengaia

I think the Stokes Croft area sees itself as Bohemian, so would automatically fight anything as middle class as a supermarket. Keynsham is a lot more sensible - we needed a decent supermarket and we got one!

By Greengaia at 09:48 on 19/05/11

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent