Warning to householders after spate of chimney fires including one at Saltford pub
By BeckyFeather | Friday, January 25, 2013, 09:20
Avon Fire & Rescue Service is warning homeowners to follow its winter safety advice after several chimney fires in the area this week including one at The Jolly Sailor pub in Mead Lane in Saltford yesterday.
A chimney fire at the Jolly Sailor pub led to a call-out for the fire service last night
Crews were called to the pub at around 5.50pm after a report of a chimney fire in the bar area.
Chimney rods were used to extinguish the flames from inside the chimney and water was sprayed from above.
There also a chimney fire at a house in Monkton Combe yesterday and one in Chipping Sodbury on Wednesday.
Residents with open fires are urged to always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks and hot embers, to make sure embers are under control and properly put out before you go to bed and to keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained.